artJOURNALING daily...a step-by-step photo peek inside one of my journals. Painting with my travel Sakura Koi travel watercolors set and waterbrush in a Strathmore Visual Journal which has 100lb. drawing paper...here's a page I created on my plane ride to Hawaii.
- sketch a face with pencil. I sketched a simple outline and filled in the details with paint
- paint face with a couple of colors at a time
- work randomly around page, painting different colors throughout the face
- paint shadows and darker areas of the face and eyes with shades of colors, when using watercolors add more paint to brush or mix with a brown or black to create a darker color.
- continue to fill in color in the headdress
- add in details with contrast colors
- mix multiple colors on your pallete to get the right paint color
- be sure to wipe color off/clean your brush on a napkin in between so the colors don't create mud
- to create a lighter wash add more water to paintbrush
- if working with water brush, squeeze brush to create a lighter wash
- experiment making a variety of marks with one brush by adding pressure to your brushstroke and tilting the brush in different ways. you can make dots easily with a round brush.
experiment & PLAY with your paints...xo~treiC